Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Love.....and Logic.

Terry and I have been taking classes through our school district on Parenting with Love and Logic. We have been enjoying them and it is fun to put them to use in "real life". Trevor has a habit of taking his clean/folded laundry upstairs to his bedroom but leaving them on the floor in his room. I have gotten so frustrated in the past until I get tired of nagging....and do it myself. This past week, we learned a technique that I thought I would try tonight. I told him the clothes MUST be put away by the end of the day today...asked him to tell me when the day ended. He looked at me funny and said "Midnight". Tonight I went to tuck him in and.....the clothes were put away!!! According to Love & Logic, you "hope" for failure so a lesson can be learned.....no "lesson" tonight as I was planning on letting it go and then waking him before "the end of the day" to remind him of the chore that needed to be done. I wonder if I will have to do this someday? I would like to say "NO" but.....
I have "failed" several times to use the logic that is taught but tonight we had to have supper in town due to clashing schedules. We ate at Subway and Emily had a hard time settling on something b/c she suddenly didn't "like" Subway. I gave her her options and told her she had 10 seconds to choose or she could just have what I was having. She chose quickly.

Hmmmmm-maybe this will make our lives easier?!

1 comment:

Laura Hutchison said...

Great to hear the story. I sure do hope all of our lives are made easier with the things we are learning!