Tuesday, August 16, 2011

MuggleFest

 At the close of the school year, Trevor read through the Harry Potter series in a matter of one week and proceeded to reread several of the books....not just once but 3-4 times each!  All I can say is, THEY MUST BE GOOD!  Upon learning about the Harry Potter "MuggleFest" he was very anxious to get there.  Though I was "lost" through most of it, the kids did take time to explain what they could to me!
 Erin has started the first book of the series and has listened with enthusiasm to Trevor talk about it so she enjoyed going through the museum as well.  During the sorting ceremony she was put into the "house" of Ravenclaw.  The tea leaves in the bottom of her cup was "read" as a starfish that will come to her - I just love the look on her face as her leaves are "read"!

Emily's tea leaves were in the shape of a "3" but we couldn't understand what was being said so.....  Emily went through the sorting ceremony by being asked her favorite subject in school (reading), what sport she likes (soccer), what she likes to do after school (play with friends).  These questions were asked b/c she admitted she wasn't familiar with the books.  Emily also held up a plant that is a "man eater" in the stories - what a brave girl, eh?!
Trevor had a blast seeing all the props from the book and getting his picture taken by the Hogwarts 9 3/4 Express sign, in the car and behind a Wizard "jail".  During the sorting ceremony Trevor was put into the "house" of Gryffindor and learned during the tea leaves reading that he needs to practice is spells!
I did go through the sorting ceremony but was "briefed" on it before hand so I knew what to say!  The kids had a great day and I enjoyed seeing the landscaping around the museum!

3 comments:

Alicia "Al" Krisher-Behm said...

Interesting huh? I don't know Harry Potter but it looks neat!

Janice said...

They would enjoy Harry Potter at Universal Studios. Totally amazing ... and I didn't know much about it.

Jessie K said...

Harry Potter ain't just for kids! I've read the series 6-7 times already. The last book is pretty intense! I wonder if Trevor got all the allegories and what-not going on in that one... ? Anyway, sounds like you haven't read them yet and I highly recommend them! (says the chick who really can't stand too much of "adult" books!) Also, for his next read, I recommend the Percy Jackson series! Greek mythology brought to modern life (Mount Olympus is on the 600th floor of the Empire State Building, didja know that?!).