Monday, April 18, 2011

In stitches.....

My plan for the day was to go to school as I usually do on a Thursday morning, come home and finally get the girls' room painted.  As luck would have it, I was just getting near the end of taping the trim off and ready to break out the paint when....the phone rang.  Upon answering it, I hear that Emily had had a little accident at recess and the feeling was that she probably will need (gasp) stitches.  At my arrival, I see a very sad little Emily sitting on the cot with bloody (but not ripped!!) leggings and a huge gauze patch taped over her shin bone on her leg.  After a quick, subtle inspection, I took her home and promptly made an appointment with our family doctor. The final diagnosis was, yup, stitches.  This diagnosis was NOT, however, taken kindly to.  Poor Emily was very frightened at the thought of being sewn back together and was not comforted by the thought of needle to numb the pain.  "Mom, I'm a little 9 year old girl....and you're making me do this....I don't want it!"  This comment came after the doctor tried to reassure with the thought of not being able to wear skirts b/c of a really ugly scar made from NOT stitching.  Emily, of course, had a remedy for that little problem - "I'll just wear tights!". 

After the stitching was done, she realized it really wasn't all THAT bad....just so long as she doesn't have to look at it.  After Erin inspected the damage, she immediately said that it looks like a really bad mending job!!  I feel fortunate that with 12 years of children, this is only our 2nd round of stitches in this household!! 

5 comments:

Alicia "Al" Krisher-Behm said...

Where is the picture of the boo-boo? :)

ruth said...

leave it to Emily to come up with such an answer!!

Janna said...

such drama!!! and answers to solve it...you made me laugh!!! "mending job?"....oh ERIN!!

Janice said...

Love her answer....hoping she is on the mend.

Bill, Shanda, Kylie & Karena said...

oh OUCH! Poor girl! Glad she was tough though! Yah I cant imagine a call like that! Sorry you couldnt get all the painting done! Seems like there is always SOMETHING eh??! :)