Saturday, April 10, 2010

A Walk Down Memory Lane....


Erin, Emily and Trevor had so much fun exploring the different barns. Emily was most concerned with finding out if all of Gpa's cats found good homes!
We went into the house to make sure everything was in good order....and to look it over for memories sake. I was surprised with how much the kids remembered about the house because it had been a long time since they had been there. Erin had fun checking out the neat closets while Trevor kind of startled himself! There is a mirror behind him in the photo but at first glance he didn't realize it was a mirror when he looked behind the door. His first thought was someone else was coming down a secret passageway!! So, of course, I had to get his picture with the mirror in the background!

Gpa and Gma were in good spirits the day of our visit. Gpa's memory was in and out but, for the most part, he was very good. Trevor was the one he seemed to remember the most...he was concerned with why he was still wearing his headgear/braces. A few times when the kids walked away to look at something he would mutter to "please don't go in the basement" or "please don't mess with all our stuff" but he was in the common's area and seemed to be happy there. Other than wondering why they remodeled the house "this way" while looking at the commons ceiling!! At one point, a nurse asked him who all the people were by him and he said "These are my grandkids!". That made me happy. I tried a few times to get him to smile by asking where his smiles went. After a little teasing, I DID get a half smile, though! During a conversation, I just looked at him and used "his" phrase (Ach....come on now!) and he gave another little smile. Gma seemed very happy to have us there....and I was thrilled to be with them, even if for a very short time.